Skip to main content

Here's a cool cookie-making novelty item that will go on sale in Asia in 2016, and perhaps come to the US later - a 3-D printer that extrudes cookie dough, not plastic! It's called the Food Printer, and it's manufactured by XYZ Printing in Taiwan.

Read more, or see a larger version of the video, here.

It just proves that there's no limit to where cookie decorating can go!

Thanks to Carol Bova at Designer Stencils for sending me the link to this information. Oh, and if you want to see other cool applications of 3-D printing in food, just jump on over to 3DSystems site and look at the ChefJetTM Pro, here!

Last edited by Julia M. Usher
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is crazy and awesome!  You're so right Julia - The limits in cookies has certainly been raised in the last few years.  This takes it over the top.

What if it could decorate with RI?  Now that would be something! 

SugarDotCookies posted:

That is crazy and awesome!  You're so right Julia - The limits in cookies has certainly been raised in the last few years.  This takes it over the top.

What if it could decorate with RI?  Now that would be something! 

Yes, I think royal icing would be an even better application, since it's likely to dry more evenly than a thick cookie could ever bake. The folks at ChefJet are doing a lot with 3-D printing of sugar into cubes and sculptures - extremely elegant stuff there!

Last edited by Julia M. Usher

Hmpf, as funny as this idea is, am I the only one who finds the results horrible? They look like made by a three-year-old with playdo strings! All wiggly and uneven...

Unless this machine is improved like a lot, I will gladly stick with the old-fashioned way of making cookies

Laegwen posted:

Hmpf, as funny as this idea is, am I the only one who finds the results horrible? They look like made by a three-year-old with playdo strings! All wiggly and uneven...

Unless this machine is improved like a lot, I will gladly stick with the old-fashioned way of making cookies

Take a look at some of the creations made with the ChefJet Pro. They are mostly solid sugar, but they are amazing. Just a matter of time before they perfect this with other mediums - that's my guess, anyway!

Julia M. Usher posted:
Laegwen posted:

Take a look at some of the creations made with the ChefJet Pro. They are mostly solid sugar, but they are amazing. Just a matter of time before they perfect this with other mediums - that's my guess, anyway!

OK, those are totally cool! Where can I get a Chefjet Pro?

If the cookie printer comes close to these results in the future, it might truly become an option. Though I suppose you will need a lot longer per cookie than the traditional way and will also need to cough up some serious dough for the machine...

I think that's the issue with 3-D printing in general, even with cutters, right now. It takes so much longer to do a 3-D printed cutter than it does a die-stamped tin one. It's hard for the 3-D printers to get the throughput needed to supply really big accounts, which is too bad because 3-D printed cutters can be more precise (and less prone to misshaping with handling).

I am very excited about 3d printed cutters.  I recently had one made for a large wedding order that I completed.  It was just a fluted rectangle, but I had it made to the exact size to fit my bags. (and I couldn't find one online to the size I needed)  For the cookie cutter, I went online to http://www.cookiecaster.com/   Here I uploaded a line drawing of my cookie cutter.  This site has a free program that turned my cookie cutter into a 3d file. (it took less than 1 minute!)  Then I went to a site called "3D print hub"  This was a site where people who have a 3D printer offer to print for you.  Usually you can get you item in the mail in a few days. But they also include the addresses of the printers and I found someone right around the corner!  I had my cookie cutter in less than 24 hours!

After further investigation I found that  2 local colleges have started 3D printing programs. (great place to seek out cookie cutter makers!)  Also my daughter told me her  college will 3D print anything for any student at the price of 10 cents a gram.  Then cookie cutter I had made weighs 12 grams.

I would like to see a 3D printer crank out a bunch of royal icing transfers for me!

Great info, Heidi. Thanks! Cookie Cutter Kingdom, who also prints 3-D cutters, has a similar design area on their site and their service is great. Once you upload your drawing, their site will show you what the cutter will look like from various perspectives before you purchase.  http://www.cookiecutterkdom.com/pages/tracer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.