*This is the quickest RI to make and the fastest drying!
Cookies can be iced, bagged and ready to go in 3-5 hours with no dehydrator.
A couple notes of interest:
- This RI recipe mixes to a semi-stiff consistency. (Think buttercream.) You can separate into individual containers and add a litlle water till you achieve the consistency you desire. If you want very stiff RI to do piped flowers, etc. add an additional 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- This icing will dry to a semi- matte finish with a soft glow. You can add 1 additional tsp of corn syrup for more gloss.
- I use CK Meringue powder ONLY. Buy it online or at cake supply stores. Not expensive. It makes a BIG difference in taste and consistency in my book. Sorry, Wilton -I do still love you for other things
- If you are planning on doing wet on wet-don't ice a few cookies and then go back to add your other color. Work one cookie at a time for best results.
- This will keep in the fridge for at least two weeks-if not longer. Use airtight containers to store. To use again, just mix thoroughly with a spatula to incorporate any separation.
Here's the recipe:
2 lb bag of powdered sugar ( I use Walmart's)
6 tbsp of CK Meringue Powder
3/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar
5 oz warm water
1 tsp Clear Butter Flavor (I use Wilton's)
2 tsp Clear Vanilla Flavor (I use Wilton's) You can also use almond, lemon or whatever you choose!
1 tbsp of Light Corn Syrup
- Mix your meringue powder and warm water with your WHISK attachment on medium high speed until it is thickened up and doubled in size (about 1 min)
- Add Cream of Tartar, Butter & Vanilla Flavors. Mix about 30 secs.
- Still using whisk attachment, add half bag of powdered sugar and mix on LOW until smooth - about 30 secs. ( If you have a plastic cover- great! If not wrap a clean tea towel around mixer to keep sugar in.)
- Add Corn Syrup, mix in (10 secs)
- Stop mixer and add remaining Powdered Sugar. Mix on medium-low for 30 secs, then scrape down sides of bowl. Mix for ONE more minute.
- Makes enough RI to ice about 3-4 dozen medium cookies.
- Immediately store in airtight container(s)
- Voila! Done with less than 4 minutes mixing time start to finish!
If you have a question, please feel free to ask me here! -Karen