PhotoTutorials, Tips, Templates, and VideosX Marks The Spot for Miscellany

My Ipad set up for using the Camera Lucida app

My Ipad set up for using the Camera Lucida app
(explanation in comments)

Add Comment

Comments (22)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

To use the Camera Lucida ipad app (to copy images onto the cookie). The ipad is flat on the vase with the camera hole over the cookie. The cookie is seen live on the ipad screen, superimposed with a image of my choice. I can copy the image onto the cookie, by looking at the screen (not the cookie). It's tricky, but with practice it gets easier. The ipad needs to be high so it can focus on the cookie. This means it's a bit too close to my face and I have to take my glasses off. And also prop myself up on a cushion. It's not ideal, but a lot quicker than creating a template, and a lot cheaper than a Kopykake (if you already have the ipad).
http://www.cameralucidaapp.com/

I downloaded the app a couple of months ago and tried it out. It really has a steep learning curve, and I haven't mastered it yet (not even close!)...but it does work. I think it is more my lack of steady hand that makes it so hard for me. And the disconnect from seeing the image to drawing it on the chosen surface. I need to set it up again and practice. Thanks for posting this to remind me about it!

 

 

Agh, Lucy, I'd be freaking out with my iPad so perfectly balanced.  I get nervous with my stand which seems quite stable.  I have to admit it takes a lot of patience  and practice to master this App.  Still working on it.  Great job today!  Waiting for more tutorials.

It does take practice to get used to looking at the ipad screen and not your cookie. Also, I don't find it clear enough to copy lots of fine detail, I rely on doing the main outlines and just winging it with the rest.

My set up is far from perfect - yes the balancing thing does bother me, but I've done it loads now and never dropped it! (yet). The problem is that's the only vase that's tall enough to allow focussing on the cookie, whilst not actually hitting me in the face. And even then, I'd prefer not to be so close to it. I need a lower work table I think. Or to prop myself up even higher.

The main thing I love about it is how the image is so flexible, you can flip it, enlarge and reduce it all while seeing how it fits on the cookie. And you can pull an image off the internet, or type your message into fontspace, print screen, and have it ready to work on within seconds.

Originally Posted by Lucy (Honeycat Cookies):

To use the Camera Lucida ipad app (to copy images onto the cookie). The ipad is flat on the vase with the camera hole over the cookie. The cookie is seen live on the ipad screen, superimposed with a image of my choice. I can copy the image onto the cookie, by looking at the screen (not the cookie). It's tricky, but with practice it gets easier. The ipad needs to be high so it can focus on the cookie. This means it's a bit too close to my face and I have to take my glasses off. And also prop myself up on a cushion. It's not ideal, but a lot quicker than creating a template, and a lot cheaper than a Kopykake (if you already have the ipad).
http://www.cameralucidaapp.com/

thanks for that comment! I already got this app,played around with on a paper, holding freehand, and found it a bit complicated....I'll try now in the correct way of course and am looking forward to new possibilities ��

Hi everyone.  As the author of the app, Camera Lucida, I like to support my users in any way possible.  My favorite audience, by far, are sugar artists.  You have all taught me so much!  I didn't even know what royal icing was before I met all of you!

 

If there is any way in which I can make the app easier to use, please don't hesitate to contact me, ok?  And Lucy, thanks for your post!  By the way, you should be able to focus MUCH closer than your photo shows... remember the button in the upper left hand corner is your focus button; my iPad 3 can focus as close as four inches from something.

 

Thanks, everyone!  -Pete

Thank you for your comments Peter! I did wonder about trying to focus better, but I could never seem to make a difference using that button. I shall have to look into it again (perhaps a problem with my ipad?) as my eyes are really playing me up and I'm getting headaches these days doing close work!!

And one suggestion (perhaps here isn't the best place to make it but I'll mention it anyway) is there any way you can make the image to be superimposed alterable whilst seeing the cookie? That way sizing can be done without guesswork...

Thanks :-)

Originally Posted by Peter Moeykens:

Hi everyone.  As the author of the app, Camera Lucida, I like to support my users in any way possible.  My favorite audience, by far, are sugar artists.  You have all taught me so much!  I didn't even know what royal icing was before I met all of you!

 

If there is any way in which I can make the app easier to use, please don't hesitate to contact me, ok?  And Lucy, thanks for your post!  By the way, you should be able to focus MUCH closer than your photo shows... remember the button in the upper left hand corner is your focus button; my iPad 3 can focus as close as four inches from something.

 

Thanks, everyone!  -Pete

 

And also, can I just thank you so much for the app? It's made an enormous difference to my cookie decorating!
 
Originally Posted by Lucy (Honeycat Cookies):
Thank you for your comments Peter! I did wonder about trying to focus better, but I could never seem to make a difference using that button. I shall have to look into it again (perhaps a problem with my ipad?) as my eyes are really playing me up and I'm getting headaches these days doing close work!!

And one suggestion (perhaps here isn't the best place to make it but I'll mention it anyway) is there any way you can make the image to be superimposed alterable whilst seeing the cookie? That way sizing can be done without guesswork...

Thanks :-)

Originally Posted by Peter Moeykens:

Hi everyone.  As the author of the app, Camera Lucida, I like to support my users in any way possible.  My favorite audience, by far, are sugar artists.  You have all taught me so much!  I didn't even know what royal icing was before I met all of you!

 

If there is any way in which I can make the app easier to use, please don't hesitate to contact me, ok?  And Lucy, thanks for your post!  By the way, you should be able to focus MUCH closer than your photo shows... remember the button in the upper left hand corner is your focus button; my iPad 3 can focus as close as four inches from something.

 

Thanks, everyone!  -Pete

 

 

Lucy,

Version 8.0 which is released now allows you to see your work area while you're adjusting your image.  Sarah Trefny (name dropping requested that for easier placement of designs on cookies.

 

Also, if you have an iPad 2, they don't support the focus mode... and in Version 8.0 I remove that button because you're right, it did nothing.

 

I'm hijacking the thread... so I'll be quiet now!  Feel free to email me at lucidapete@gmail.com with other questions and suggestions.  

 

-Pete

 

Not hijacking at all - very useful, thank you! I've just tried using the app with the ipad much lower and it's focussing, so why I couldn't get it to work before I don't know, I've used it with that high up vase for so long it never occurred to me to try again lower down. This will be much easier on my eyes!! I shall also make sure I update the version I have. (BTW Sarah Trefny of Klickitat Street is where I heard of the app in the first place, and one of my original inspirations to get me into cookie decorating! )

Thanks Lucy and Julia for the kind words!

Lucy, the app focuses once when you hit the "draw" button.  If you iPad wasn't on the vase when you hit the draw button, it would have just focused on whatever the camera was pointing at.  However, that focus button will make it focus once and then lock focus on that distance whenever you want.

 

I stay away from "auto focus" because I want the camera to lock the focus on your drawing surface, not you hand that you're using for decorating/drawing.

 

 

 

Lucy thanks for your advice. !! but I can not understand it, qesto method used to transfer images on the cookie .. ??
if it were possible I would like to understand bene..grazie .. !!

Post
×
×
×
×