Location: Tunde’s Sugar Art Studio, 1106 Adams Street, Bowling Green, Kentucky, 42101 (Directions on http://www.tundescreations.com.)
Description: Take your cookie decorating skills to unimagined heights with world-renowned cookie artist Julia M. Usher in this two-day hands-on class focused on 3-D baking, construction, and decorating techniques. Julia will guide students step by step through the decorating and assembly of two of her most popular 3-D Christmas projects: an elaborately decorated cookie box and a true-to-life Christmas ornament. Julia will demonstrate how the more unusual contoured and embossed cookie pieces are shaped, baked, and iced. Students will shape and bake a few pieces to gain experience with these methods, but will spend most of the course decorating already-baked pieces and making embellishments in preparation for final assembly on the second day.
Techniques covered: Embossed cookies, contoured cookies, molded cookies, dipping, outlining and flooding, spraying/airbrushing, stenciling, sponging, royal icing transfers, piped royal icing pine cones, line and dot work on contoured surfaces, modeling chocolate ribbons and bows, rubber-stamping (on cookies and fondant appliqués), frosting sheet stencils and trims, and 3-D sandwiched and contoured assembly.
What you’ll take home: 1 elaborately decorated 3-D Christmas box, similar to that depicted (though actual design details will vary), and 1 3-D Christmas ornament (the stenciled green and gold version, pictured left, only).
Prerequisites: This class is suitable for all skill levels, though some cookie decorating experience is required.
(1) All tools and materials will be supplied, but are for classroom use only.
(2) Class size is limited to ensure everyone gets the utmost of Julia’s attention – so don’t delay in signing up!
(3) Each student will leave with one lavishly decorated 3-D cookie box and one 3-D Christmas ornament (in a take-home cookie box), one of Julia’s stencil sets ($19 value), and a set of digital class notes with Julia’s recipes and sources.
(4) Lunch is included on both days; a 45-minute lunch break will occur roughly midway through each class.
(5) Students’ box and ornament designs are constrained only by their own imaginations and the tools on hand in class. Please note that not everyone will be able to do the exact same design, as certain tools are more limited than others. But expressing yourself in your own unique way is a key part of the creative process!
(6) BONUS! Both of Julia’s books and a wide selection of her stencils will also be available for sale in class.
Price: $600 per person for 15 to 16 hours of instruction, or a special bundled price of $800 if purchased with Julia’s one-day 2-D class ($350 value). No children under the age of 13; minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Registration information and cancellation policy: Please contact Julia M. Usher at email@example.com to register. Payment will be accepted via Paypal.
(1) Payment in full is required at the time of registration. Space will not be held otherwise.
(2) Registration will close one month prior to the event on October 5, 2021. After this time, no refunds will be issued, though registration can be transferred to another individual if Julia is notified in advance (and provided the new student’s name and contact information). Prior to October 5, Julia will grant a partial refund (25%) for any student-initiated class cancellations.
(3) Should class minimums not be met by October 5, or should Julia have to cancel for some unforeseen reason, full refunds will be issued.
Nearby hotels and B&Bs:
Hyatt, within walking distance
Staybridge, suites with kitchenettes, 10-minute drive
Tyler Adams House, within half mile
Spongie Acres Bed and Breakfast, renovated estate on 14 acres, 15-minute drive
Victorian House Bed & Breakfast, 20-minute drive
Parking: Plenty is available in the third row of the big parking lot across the street from the studio.