Sunday, August 9, 2020, 9 am to 5 pm
Sugar Art Supply, 4455 Telegraph Road S-200, Saint Louis, MO 63129
Description: In this one-day hands-on cookie decorating course, Julia will guide students step by step through the decorating and assembly of one of her most popular 3-D projects: an elaborately decorated garden scene complete with a moss-lined brick walk and potted topiary. Julia will demonstrate how the more unusual contoured and embossed cookie pieces are shaped, baked, and iced. Students will shape a few pieces to gain experience with these methods, but will spend most of the day decorating already-baked pieces and making embellishments in preparation for final assembly by the end of the day.
Techniques covered: Embossed cookies, contoured cookies, dipping, outlining and flooding, cookie “moss”, spraying/airbrushing, sponging, royal icing roses, royal icing transfers, line and dot work on contoured surfaces, modeling chocolate and wafer paper ribbons, punched wafer paper embellishments, rubber-stamped fondant appliqués, royal icing “slate”, and 3-D stacked and sandwiched assembly.
What you’ll take home: 1 elaborately decorated 3-D cookie garden scene with topiary, similar to that depicted. Designs will vary with students’ imaginations!
Prerequisites: This class is suitable for all skill levels.
(1) All tools and materials will be supplied, but are for classroom use only.
(2) Class size is limited to ensure everyone gets the utmost of Julia’s attention – so don’t delay in signing up!
(3) Each student will leave with one lavishly decorated cookie garden scene (in a take-home cookie box), one of Julia’s stencil sets ($19 value), and a set of digital class notes with Julia’s recipes and sources.
(4) Lunch is not included, but students can find several eating establishments within ¼ mile of the venue; a 45-minute lunch break will occur roughly midway through class.
(5) Students’ designs will include one 3-tier rose topiary on a brick patio with sundial; they will not include other smaller topiaries.
Price: $250 per person (Notes: Price is about half the usual, as it's on Julia's home turf! No children under the age of 13; minors must be accompanied by an adult.)
Registration information and cancellation policy:
Please contact Julia M Usher at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Payment will be accepted via Paypal.
(1) Payment in full is required at the time of registration. Space will not be held otherwise.
(2) Registration will close two weeks prior to the event on July 25, 2020. After this time, no refunds will be issued, though registration can be transferred to another individual if Julia is notified in advance (and provided the new student’s name and contact information). Prior to July 25, Julia will grant a partial refund (25%) for any class cancellations.
(3) Should class minimums not be met by July 25, or should Julia have to cancel for some other unforeseen reason, full refunds will be issued.