Location: Tunde’s Sugar Art Studio, 1106 Adams Street, Bowling Green, Kentucky, 42101 (Directions on http://www.tundescreations.com.)
Description: In this one-day hands-on class with world-renowned cookie decorator Julia M. Usher, you’ll get a crash course in 10-plus fundamental decorating techniques while creating three to four mixed media Christmas cookies that are sure to wow friends and family. Along the way, you’ll gain experience with Julia’s Dynamic Duos™ layered stencil sets, and receive an in-depth airbrushing lesson that covers multi-color applications on one stencil using precision-control and shading techniques. Students will also gain hands-on experience shaping and baking molded cookie embellishments.
Techniques covered: Molded cookies; airbrushing (both precision-control and shading); stenciling (with royal icing and airbrush); fondant appliqués; extruded, rolled, and molded fondant decorations; modeling chocolate bows and ribbons; wafer paper tags and ribbons; royal icing pine cones; and piped needlepoint.
What you’ll take home: 3 to 4 elaborately decorated 2-D cookies, including: 2 to 3 airbrushed-stenciled designs (similar to those depicted) using Julia’s stencil designs as the basis; then further embellishing with piped royal icing pine cones and/or modeling chocolate, fondant, or wafer paper elements. In addition, each student will create 1 SURPRISE handpiped Scandinavian needlepoint “sampler” cookie (not depicted). Designs will vary with students’ imaginations!
Prerequisites: This class is suitable for all skill levels, though some decorating experience is helpful.
(1) All tools and materials will be supplied, but are for classroom use only.
(2) Class size is limited to ensure everyone gets the utmost of Julia’s attention – so don’t delay in signing up!
(3) Each student will leave with three to four lavishly decorated cookies (in a take-home cookie box), one of Julia’s stencil sets ($19 value), and a set of digital class notes with Julia’s recipes and sources.
(4) Lunch is included; a 45-minute lunch break will occur roughly midway through class.
(5) Students’ stenciled-airbrushed designs are limited to two (or three) of those depicted in the photos, or two (or three) of their own imagination. Please note that not everyone will be able to do the exact same design, as certain tools are more limited than others. But expressing yourself in your own unique way is a key part of the creative process! In addition, each student will complete one SURPRISE needlepoint cookie, guided by the example(s) Julia shares in class!
(6) BONUS! Both of Julia’s books and a wide selection of her stencils will also be available for sale in class.
Price: $350 per person for 7 to 8 hours of instruction, or a special bundled price of $800 if purchased with Julia’s two-day 3-D class ($600 value). No children under the age of 13; minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Registration information and cancellation policy: Please contact Julia M. Usher at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Payment will be accepted via Paypal.
(1) Payment in full is required at the time of registration. Space will not be held otherwise.
(2) Registration will close one month prior to the event on October 5, 2021. After this time, no refunds will be issued, though registration can be transferred to another individual if Julia is notified in advance (and provided the new student’s name and contact information). Prior to October 5, Julia will grant a partial refund (25%) for any student-initiated class cancellations.
(3) Should class minimums not be met by October 5, or should Julia have to cancel for some unforeseen reason, full refunds will be issued.
Nearby hotels and B&Bs:
Hyatt, within walking distance
Staybridge, suites with kitchenettes, 10-minute drive
Tyler Adams House, within half mile
Spongie Acres Bed and Breakfast, renovated estate on 14 acres, 15-minute drive
Victorian House Bed & Breakfast, 20-minute drive
Parking: Plenty is available in the third row of the big parking lot across the street from the studio.