2018 Events

A place to post about CookieCon 2018 and other noteworthy cookie events in 2018.

Featured Topics

Meet Our November Site Artist!

Julia M. Usher
Finally! At long last, Missouri has jumped fully into fall, all in the 11 few days that I was in Japan. My green trees suddenly have tinges of red and orange on them, and all of the seed pods in my garden are now definitively VERY brown. I chose this month's site artist (Timea Gazdagné Görbe, aka @PUDING FARM) not only because her work very much conveys the state of my fall yard , but also because poppies are the symbol of "remembrance". Later this month, we have one of our...Read More...
Last Reply By PUDING FARM · First Unread Post

An Important Announcement About the JULIA Airbrush System

Julia M. Usher
Hi, everyone! The JULIA Airbrush System sold more quickly than ever anticipated and, as some of you may know, is now stocked out. Thank you to everyone who supported the product through their purchases. I am so grateful to you! Several people have asked when it will be available again, and, instead of responding to each and every one of you separately, here's the official answer for all. I regret to say that I have no plans to release any more of this particular system . It’s a long story,...Read More...
Last Reply By Julia M. Usher · First Unread Post

New Cookie Connection Merchandise!

Julia M. Usher
Hi, all! I have a fun little announcement for you, which includes some goodies designed to make us feel even more like one big, happy Cookie Connection family! Long story short, I recently partnered with teespring.com and YouTube to bring branded Cookie Connection and JULIA merchandise to YouTube. I’m beta-testing the feature now with some cute Cookie Connection tees and other goodies. Right now, I've got two Cookie Connection tees that look the same from the front . . . . . . but which have...Read More...

How to Edit or Delete Your Own Content

Julia M. Usher
Hi, all, I've been receiving an unusually large number of questions about how members can edit or delete their own content. It's super important for you to know how to do this, as I typically do not edit posts for people, unless I happen to see a misclassified image or other typo. It can also take me several hours to days to respond to site inquiries like this, as I work several other jobs. That being said, your surest bet for getting a quick answer is to familiarize yourself with our site...Read More...

Important Reminder about Copying and Posting Characters without Permission

Julia M. Usher
Hi, all, regrettably, I've recently had to delete some images from challenges and other areas of the site due to lack of compliance with Rule #8 of our posting guidelines, which states that artwork (including characters, from Disney, Hasbro, etc.) cannot be copied and posted here without permission from the creator : http://cookieconnection.juliau...READ-BEFORE-YOU-POST In response to those deletions, some members have asked me why so many licensed character cookies exist on the site,...Read More...

Adjusting Your Email Notifications and Onsite Alerts

Julia M. Usher
We all have different message-reading tastes, so Cookie Connection has been designed to allow for everyone's individual differences! The site's default email and onsite alert notifications are set to show you most of the site info that you could get notified about, just so you're aware of the site's full functionality. But I recognize that this amount of info may (or may not) be overkill for you. That said, I recommend that you edit your "Notifications" settings as soon as you join the site...Read More...

Posting Images - Please Read Before You Post!

Julia M. Usher
Read in Japanese (日本語はこちらから) (Last Translation: August 25, 2017) ________________________________ Hi, all! Before posting images or videos to the Clips area, please review the site's Terms of Use , as well as all of the following posting rules. They are designed to give your images more visibility on the site, to make sure artists are given proper credit for design inspiration and/or source artwork, and to avoid copyright violations. I'll start with the easy cataloging stuff first . . . 1.Read More...
Last Reply By Lupita Cárdenas · First Unread Post

Topics

Congrats to the Cake Masters Magazine Awards Winners!

Julia M. Usher
Last weekend, the winners of the Cake Masters Magazine Awards were announced during their gala at Cake International in Birmingham, England. As one of the judges (see all of my fellow judges below), I can tell you that the competition was particularly stiff this year, and the work was utterly amazing in many categories. Please visit the Cake Masters Magazine Facebook page for a complete rundown of all of the winners. I did, however, want to give a huge shout-out to the cookie winner here,...Read More...
Last Reply By pip · First Unread Post
Woo hoo! Cake Masters Magazine just announced the finalists in its 2018 awards program! As a judge, I can say with certainty that the finalists' work is amazing (better than ever, in fact!) and the judging will be intense. Joining me in the very difficult task of judging this year are the following esteemed sugar artists. It's a tremendous honor to be included among their ranks: Now, onto the really important stuff - the 2018 cookie finalists! Please say congrats to the following talented...Read More...
Last Reply By Ros43 · First Unread Post

Łódź You Like a Cookie

Wypiekane Opowieści
We are just 2 crazy girls from Poland, who had this crazy idea to make a first royal icing cookie contest. Here in the middle of Europe (Łódź)... And we have simply done it! It was an amazing adventure. ❤️ Maybe not just a one-time event! Would you come to see our sweet work next year? And remember to take your work with you! ❤️ https://web.facebook.com/pg/lo...m_id=678837275822212 P.S. If you are trying to say out loud "Łódź", it sounds similar to "would", so the name of our event is a...Read More...
Last Reply By Elke Hoelzle · First Unread Post

Julia on Cookies at the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show

Julia M. Usher
Hello, everyone! This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show (September 29/30), and Kerry Vincent and I are pulling out all the stops to make my namesake Julia Usher Decorated Cookie Competition the best ever! We’re trying to attract national media to cover the event, which is why we put together the above promo video. Plus, I’m offering cash prizes close to $2000 ($1000 for first; $500 for second, and $250 for third), the biggest in the cookie business. I'm...Read More...

Seventh Annual Go Bo! Foundation Bake Sale

Julia M. Usher
Woo hoo! Registration is now open for the seventh annual Go Bo! Foundation Bake Sale , which raises funds to bring hope to children with life-threatening medical conditions while spreading the legacy of Bo Johnson. Each year, hundreds of cookiers gather online and in Sister Bay, Wisconsin, USA with thousands of cookies to be auctioned off for this wonderful cause. To date, more than 148 thousand dollars (yes, thousand!) have been raised through cookie donations, thanks in large part to the...Read More...

Seeking CookieCon 2018 Correspondents!

Julia M. Usher
Hey, everyone. Like last year, I'm seeking two or three people to serve as CookieCon 2018 correspondents - meaning I'm looking for folks who would be interested in reporting on their experiences at CookieCon (while at CookieCon) to those back at home. The reporting could be in the form of photo posts (like these from last year's event by @Bev Made Cookies and others) or blog posts (like those here by @Econlady and others). I'm also open to other creative...Read More...
Hi, everyone! As the graphic says, n ominations are now open for the 2018 Cake Masters Magazine Awards ! Once again, I have the distinct pleasure and honor of judging all of the sugar art categories in this illustrious competition. Please nominate your favorite artists now (there's a cookie category too): www.cakemastersawards.com/nominate . And since I am not judging the "Best Learning Experience" category, I'm putting in a shameless plug for Cookie Connection . If you like what you've...Read More...

More Amazing Cash Prizes for Cookiers!

Julia M. Usher
Aha! Got your attention again! As it turns out, I'm sponsoring and judging another great cookie competition this year at the Show Me Sweets Cake & Candy Convention , on September 8-9, 2018 in St. Charles, Missouri. This show is only one year old, but it generated an impressive turnout for the cookie competition last year, and it only promises to be even better this year. So far, over $2500 in cash and prizes has been donated for four categories in the cookie competition. For more...Read More...

Amazing Cash Prizes for Cookiers!

Julia M. Usher
Aha! So I got your attention, didn't I?! Good, because I wanted to remind you that, as always, I'll be sponsoring and judging my namesake cookie decorating competition at this year's Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show , aka OSSAS, on September 28-30, 2018. It's the show's 25th anniversary, so founder and host Kerry Vincent is surely going to pull out all the stops! And so should you! It's not too early to start designing your competition entry! Attached is a screen shot of the competition prizes...Read More...

CookieCon 2018 Sugar Show Categories Announced!

Julia M. Usher
Hey, all! If you're going to CookieCon (the country's largest cookie decorating convention) in September, they recently announced their Sugar Show (cookie decorating competition) categories, as described above. This show, and others like it, are often a great way to push your skills to new heights, regardless of whether you win any prize. For more information about the event, please visit the CookieCon site .Read More...
Hi, all! I just got an email from the casting agency for Food Network's Christmas Cookie Challenge, and they are already casting for this year's series, believe it or not. Here's what the casting letter said: "Our casting team is currently searching nationwide for the best cookie makers in the country to put their skills to the ultimate test in a fun holiday cookie competition. Do you make flawless florentines, magnificent madeleines, and perfect pinwheels? If cookies is your calling, this...Read More...
Last Reply By yani · First Unread Post
Hey, all, as you may know, I will be at SoFlo Cake & Candy Expo later this month, demoing both my stencils and my new airbrush system. I expect to have some awesome show deals for you too, like the ones pictured here: I'll be located in Booth #200 in plain view, very close to the front doors. I hope to see you there! I also wanted to alert you to the show's cookie competition, which I am judging along with Amber Spiegel (SweetAmbs) and Sandie Beltran (You Can Call Me Sweetie). It's got a...Read More...

Heads Up! CookieCon 2018 Tickets Go on Sale Tonight!

Julia M. Usher
Hi, all! The following update is just in from Karen and Mike Summers, organizers of CookieCon . . . CookieCon 2018 tickets and add-on (pre-CookieCon) workshops go on sale this evening (March 14, 2018) at 7:00 pm MDT . At that time, please visit www.cookiecon.com , and click on the registration link at the top of the page to purchase your ticket! To see some tips and a video about how to register, click here: http://www.cookiecon.net/registration-tips.php To read more about CookieCon and to...Read More...

Food Network Now Casting for Two Baking Shows

Julia M. Usher
ATTENTION, EVERYONE! Food Network is now casting for two competitions. Click on the link below for more info. (P.S. I know more than a few cookie decorators who competed in the Christmas Cookie Challenge last year, and at least two who brought home the $10,000 prize! It's well within your reach too!) MORE INFO: https://bakingchampionshipcasting.castingcrane.comRead More...

Mark Your Calendars for CookieCon 2018!

Julia M. Usher
Hi, all! I just caught this announcement on the CookieCon Facebook page and thought you'd all be interested to know that CookieCon 2018 has been scheduled for September 12-15, 2018 in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. We'll be posting more info to our Calendar area of the site, as we receive it from the organizers. Please also visit the CookieCon Facebook page for more regular updates.Read More...